Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"THE GAME AIN'T WORTH THE CANDLE"

One thing a Dilettante is really good at is quitting. In fact, if there is any leitmotif in a Dilettante's checkered life, it is the long succession of abandoning enterprises once they become tiresome, troublesome, or just plain difficult. A Dilettante's world is full of hot potatoes, and they all get dropped in their due course.

In my bailiwick, 9/11 has not yet achieved this status. It is still an endlessly fascinating subject with a surface nearly unscratched. There do seem to be snags and impasses, and detours from the Path of Truth onto which one is often directed by nefarious characters. When Judy Wood begins opining with Lisa Loopneresque resonances, the potato begins to warm alarmingly in one's hand. Yet in one's hand it remains.

Stamps fell by the wayside because the fascination with them diminished--and they weren't altogether that fascinating to begin with despite a panoply of Scott catalogue numbers that lodge in my brain. Nor do I truck much with Numismatics these days--coins, despite their intrinsic value, are duller than stamps and come in fewer colors. And my array of vintage typewriters holds at its current number--I haven't yet begun the restoration of my Oliver No. 2, and my hopes of obtaining a Blickensderfer, Yost, or Jewett remain unfulfilled. They're all rather heavy to tote around, and I'm weary of opening eBay parcels to find them smashed.

As I write, I'm very much on the verge of dropping another such tuber. This one from a difference of opinion on how much respect I feel I should be accorded in a current volunteer endeavor of mine. I have been adjudged guilty of expressing an opinion, and was threatened with "probation" for the deep sin of being myself. Since I am of a certain age, I am unmoved by such posturing. Does this person not know I am the Dilettante--and will quit anything on the slightest pretext? The game here may turn out not to be worth the candle. I may be a Dilettante, but I am not a child or an idiot. "Probation," indeed! Harrumph!

A Dilettante quits a thing not because he is fearful, but because he is bored. And the deep mysteries of 9/11 do not cloy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really wanted to hear this, but the download is broken or so it seems...
(Well, from europe anyway.)

http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/program/28914

New link or something, please?
(posting comment her since http://uticansfor911truth.blogspot.com/ is a no-spam zone and i no like log-ins.

Andy said...

Sorry. My attention wandered for a few months.

The link should be working fine, now--though I think the 32k stream comes up for both.

I appreciate your wish to remain anonymous. I was just tired of the people abusing the comment section by quoting whole chapters of the Bible and telling us we're going to Hell. I'm afraid I get rather impatient with such types.