Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Is 9/11 Truth Just Too Boring?

I was rinsing out my fountain-pen collection this morning when my thoughts wandered (as they are oft wont to do) onto the topic of 9/11 Truth. As fascinating as it can be (and thus far has been) to me, I couldn't help reflecting that certain public speakers on the facts of the case do go on a bit. When they start offering up all the detailed physics of "conservation of momentum," etc., my eyes glaze over and suddenly I am back in the tenth grade with dear old "Cosmic Ray" Vittucci instructing us in the finer points of Newton, not heeding his words but gazing at the nape of the neck of the girl in front of me, whom I desperately wanted to get to know better but was actually terrified to speak to. When I finally mustered the courage to ask her a significant personal question (more in the nature of a request) she flat-out laughed in my face. I often wonder what became of her, if she ever found the happiness that she had crushed in my heart at that moment, and if she could have envisioned that her action further edged me along the road to Dilettantism. Perhaps she'd be gratified, or distressed, or indifferent--or a little of all three.

But at-length discussion of 9/11 does create a hypnotic thrum in one's brain. The ranting and bellowing of Alex Jones is rhythmic,

and a drowsy numbness pains
My sense, as though of hemlock I had drunk,
Or emptied some dull opiate to the drains
One minute past, and Lethe-wards had sunk


Likewise the fulminating and enthusing of James Fetzer--his speech, uninterrupted, is like white noise. I frequently use his program to block out the sounds of traffic when I am in the mood for a doze. Also soothing are the particular speech rhythms of David Ray Griffin and Steven E. Jones--they offer more of a gently relaxing susurration, in the manner of the burbling of a nearby rill or the whispering collision of autumn leaves.

All this leads to the observation that outrage and activism is unlikely if one is simply being lulled. There was a great crime committed on September 11, 2001 by somebody, and that above all needs to be addressed.

But now it's time for my nap.

No comments: